Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Fortune Cookie

I've been thinking a lot about visualization and how things that we think about constantly sometimes happen. We call it "self-fulfilling prophecy" or "creating your reality". I'm not sure at this point how it all fits in with Christianity, as I don't believe in "coincidence" but I do believe that God is in control of all things. So, do these visualizations come from Him? How does that all work? I don't know.

Anyway, PreacherMan took me and Atticus to lunch at a Chinese restaurant the other day. When we got our fortune cookies, Atticus and PreacherMan chose theirs, leaving me with the third. PreacherMan said, "You don't get to choose your fortune." And we all laughed.

Now, mostly these days fortune cookies say stupid stuff like "You will overcome obstacles", "You make friends easily", "Expect some travel" and things like that. They are always very general and generic so people can interpret them to be about their lives.

Well, here's the funny thing. I took my cookie and I thought, before I cracked it, "Is the baby a boy or a girl?" Almost laughing in my head at myself because the fortune cookie couldn't possibly answer that question. But I was thinking, "this fortune will tell me if it's a boy or a girl".

The fortune? "Your wildest dreams will come true".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking similiar thoughts, as I am a Christian who is learning Therapeutic Touch and EFT - and visualization is part of both of those healing modalities.

I don't believe in coincidence, but at the same time I don't believe God is orchestrating/controlling every moment of our lives because that doesn't make sense to me in terms of free will.

But to try and explain beyond that would make for a REALLY long comment so I'll refrain. :)

All that to say, I understand. And perhaps one of these days I'll tackle the question on my own blog.

Hope the kids broken bones are healing well!

Rural Mama said...

What a sweet fortune to get, given what you were thinking at the time!

This post immediately caught my attention, because before my baby was born, my husband and I both went, on different days, to a Chinese restaurant. We both got fortunes that said "daughter". What did we get, a few days later? A daughter. We saved the two little slips of paper in the baby book.

Maybe it was just a little coincidence, but I like to think that God sometimes works through fortune cookies...

Dollymama said...

This reminds me of twice when I was past my due dates in pregnancies. I found that when the phone would ring I was thinking that somehow when I answered it, someone would be calling to tell me I was finally in labor.
:)

Gentlebirthmama said...

I love your blog...I just found you through another birth blog.
I am a CBE, doula & student midwife and have a blog that I just updated for the new year.
Hope you'll stop by sometime and say "hi". :)