Monday, October 23, 2006


Well, I've decided to take on the lady that is due five weeks after me. PreacherMan kept telling me he thought I could do it, and FaeryLady said "OK" so here I go. Today I got a phone call from a lady due about 10 days or so after the other one. I called FaeryLady and she is concerned whether I will be able to do it or not.

Frankly, I'm a bit worried myself. This second lady also has had homebirths before -- three of them -- so she shouldn't exactly be high maintenance. However, I will have a newborn to take care of, and will be recovering from birth, etc.

I am sure there are ways this can work out... by then PreacherMan will be done with school and hopefully there will be lots less pressure on him. Will I feel resentful having to take care of another pregnant lady when I have a newborn? I know other midwives have made it work. But can I?

I started this pregnancy saying "I'm taking off from attending births from January until June next year." Well, THAT flew out the window pretty fast. I still would not take a first time mom or a VBAC or anyone else that had a high risk for a long or complicated birth. These two moms are a pretty good bet, but that doesn't mean they WON'T have complications or long births. My sixth baby was my longest labor so far.

Why is it so hard to say no?

1 comment:

Louisa said...

It's the same reason that I'm scheduling doula clients along side my school work and attending births only a couple of months after I had my last baby.
Why? Because you're a midwife!
:) Glad you're back, by the way, I missed your posts!