Saturday, July 29, 2006

Seven weeks

Today I am seven weeks. The nausea is still there, and starts around 9 AM. Most foods don't sound good. I can stay awake for approximately three hours before I need to take a nap.

Our little baby is now about .5 inch long and has little tiny hands and little foot "paddles". The baby's elbows are forming. My uterus has turned into the amazing wandering uterus.

In the morning, before I get up and while my bladder is full, I can feel it really well. It sometimes feels as big as a grapefruit (am I further along than I think???) and this AM I could actually feel the upper margin near my belly button (??) Then after I empty my bladder, I can't find it anymore. Where does it go? Sometimes, I can feel it waaaaaaaay over on the left side, almost in the curve of the iliac crest. Huh? How does it get over there?? Measuring the fundus (I know, I know, it's not accurate at this stage! But what can I say, I don't want to dopplerize the baby!) reveals a measurement of about 10 cm from the pubis.

The only reason I decided to do a pregnancy test almost 3 weeks ago (supposedly at 4.5 weeks) was because I was laying in bed and my hubby put his arm over my lower belly. I thought, "that feels weird" and started palpating and I could feel my uterus above my pubic bone! I told him, "you better buy me a pregnancy test at Wal-mart this morning". He scoffed. After all, the last unprotected sex was too early in my cycle, right? I said, "well, I either have fibroids, or I'm pregnant, because my uterus is enlarged!". So he bought the test. And the result can be seen in the first post.

So what is up with this amazing size changing travelling uterus? I do remember with my last pregnancy that by 7 weeks I could feel my uterus above the pubis, by 11 weeks it was halfway between my pubic bone and my umbilicus, and an ultrasound revealed only one baby. By 20 weeks, the measurements normalized. I do remember with that pregnancy also having a "wandering uterus". I don't believe that's a medical term, but it should be.

1 comment:

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Having just had a large fibroid (and my uterus) removed in August, the baby is a much better plan. ;)

Hh