Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Safest One Room Schoolhouse



In light of the three school shootings recently, including the one in an Amish one-room school house which now has a death toll of six, I wanted to talk about how glad I am that 8 years ago we decided to homeschool our children.

People have all sorts of concerns about homeschooling. What about socialization?? (Well, if by socialization, they learn to smoke, drink, have sex, and reject anyone that doesn't look like them or is not the same age as them, I don't want them socialized!) What about high school? Well, I'm teaching it. It's hard, but doable. What about band/drama club/sports? There are other avenues. I have a 15 year old that is one rank away from Eagle Scout. I have taught four children to read now. It is very fulfilling most days.

And some things I don't have to worry about? That people are teaching my child something I don't approve of or think they are mentally/socially/emotionally ready to handle. I don't have to worry that they will get left behind because a teacher with 20 other kids in her classroom doesn't have the time to discover that one child is an auditory learner and another is a kinesthetic learner, and to make sure they are properly stimulated. I don't have to worry that my children who "get it" are stuck doing busy work while the rest of the class catches up. I don't have to worry about missed schoolwork if they are sick, if we have a family emergency, or if we want to take a vacation. And, for the most part, I don't worry that a gunman will come into my home, kick me out, line my children up against the wall, and shoot them execution style.

No comments: